Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sometimes momma needs a time out...


"If I wanted to be rich then I would start a mess making company", I said after I found the 1000th mess of the day.  I wonder what my kids thought after they heard me say those words.  You see, I wasn't trying to make light of a situation because I was serious and I 'd had it for the day.  Earlier that day I'd already settled on a theory that one of my kids must have been reincarnated from being a tornado in her previous life & was clearly having flashbacks.  This little girl is quick in every sense of the word.  Not only is she quick to make messes, she is smart and if any one of my kids is going to call me out it's going to be her.  I mean what little girl @ 22 months could point to my sweatshirt & tell me what the corresponding letters were .  I know for sure she knew E, A & U.  On the flip side I have to always remember how @ this age my little ones are so innocent and really lack street smarts.  It's awfully difficult @ times to remember that 2 & 4 year old brains do not even work the same way as my own.  Case in point as we walked back to our car from the store we could see glass all over the ground where a car had been broken into to.  My husband turned and said, "That is why you never leave anything out to even make a thief want to get into your car."  My girls didn't understand why somebody would do that so they continued to quiz their parents with questions like, "Are thieves bad strangers", or "What were they trying to take?"  In which we responded wallets, purses or shopping bags.  After a bit of silence, little "M" then said I bet the thieves would want to break into a car to steal toothpicks & water bottles.  We didn't even try to dispute a thing she said & just responded with a "Yes, they probably would".  My mind didn't stop there as again it was reconfirmed to me that little children are so innocent & special.  Sometimes I wonder why I would even be allowed to be a mother.  I am not even close to being perfect but my kids are giving me every opportunity to become closer to that goal but the thing is I have SO far to go.  So far in fact that it can be discouraging @ times as I am frequently reminded.  At least I take comfort in the fact that I am not the first one trying to conquer this motherhood thing nor the last.  Motherhood I've found can sometimes drive you to the brink of doing and saying things that you only hear of other mothers doing (or at least I thought when I wasn't a mother).  Today I will try to keep perspective while having stamina & patience.  I will resist the urge to want to turn and imitate my children when they throw a tantrum.  Good thing there is not a camera in my home or I may really embarrass myself.  Come to think it it maybe that's not such a bad idea.....but only for my own personal use.  

When we were driving home husband made a great point about how it was interesting that we are trying so hard to teach our kids to be more grown up but when they do grow up we wish they were like little kids again.  True, true....that is why when we were @ the store & the kids wanted all of these crazy hats I originally said no but then thought about the above and changed my mind.  What did we do with all of these hats....well had a hat party with cupcakes of course.  WE ARE COUPED UP!


Oh & I guess I am rich because I do have a mess making company!  

I'll be back with the cupcake recipe because it is a good & healthy one (as far as cupcakes go).

4 comments:

Sandi said...

No doubt about it, the hats are winners!!!!!

Unknown said...

hahaha christina... do you realize you have two pictures of wells in there wearing different hats and no pictures of bridger? cool hats though :)

sherry said...

Your video camera idea is not a bad one. We have used it as a tool in our home. A child that is back talking or throwing a tantrum doesn't always understand how they look. In other words, they don't always realize how badly they are behaving. It is sometimes a good idea to show them. They are almost always surprised to see it. Now I use it on the older kids mostly as a threat. It always makes them think. And they realize how they are acting without having to be shown. Now, on the same note. I am glad someone isn't videotaping me when I break down and "gasp" yell at the children. Or maybe they should...

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

Those are wonderful hats. What a great post. We all need a time out every once in a while.

Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

PS. Glad that you enjoyed the award. Pass it on to other blogs that you enjoy.